In Vietnam, stuffed tofu normally is cooked in tomato base sauce but as I love my aunt’s spring onion sauce so much, I serve the stuffed tofu with it, too. Try this recipe, you’ll sure be converted.
- 750g firm tofu
- 1 bunch spring onion, chopped
- Oil for deep frying
- 2 tablespoons of fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 500 chicken mince
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 Asian shallot, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- Combine ingredients for the filling and mix well.
- Cut the tofu into 8 pieces, dry. Split the tofu and stuff tofu with 1 tablespoons of the filling.
- Heat a frying pan. Add oil for deep fry. Carefully lower the tofu into hot oil using a spatula. Work in batch of 5-6 pieces. Deep fry the tofu in around 5 minutes or until they golden and crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain well on kitchen paper.
- In a small pan, heat 1 tablespoon of oil. Add the chopped white part of spring onion in, stir until it fragrant. Add the fish sauce, sugar, and water to the pan. When it starts bubbling, add the green part, and set aside.
- Serve the tofu hot and drizzle the sauce on top.