Fruits are often given out after dinner in Vietnam instead of a cake or mousse. Why? I don't really know the exact answer but I found the fruits are super refreshing and light enough to compliment a delicious Vietnamese meal.
The tropical fruits in Vietnam are so scrumptious. The jelly-like lychee and rambutan or the sweet mango are the treats by itself already. However, you can always make them better. I love love the street stall of fruit cups in Hanoi. Basically, the fruit cup is fruit salad serve with condensed milk and shaved ice. Super yum!
Here is our version of Hanoi favourite healthy snack. One of our lovely audiences at Vietnamese Festival enjoyed it so much. Hope you like it, too!
- 1 dragon fruits
- 200g lychee, halved, skin and seed removed
- 200g rambutan, halved, skin and seed removed
- ½ honeydew
- 1 mango
- 1 red papaya
- 1 punnet strawberries
- 1 punnet blackberries
- 2 dried coconut – one cracked and cleaned
- Dried shaved coconut
- 400ml coconut milk
- 1 can condense milk
- 3 cups of shaved ice
- Bring coconut milk just to the boil. Remove from the heat and let it cool down completely
- Crack open the coconut by tapping a cleaver on the shell, keep tapping until the coconut crack by itself.
- Scoop the honeydew and papaya using the melon baller.
- Prepare the rambutan, lychee but peel off the skin and cut them in half, remove the seed.
- Cut the dragon fruit into star shapes
- Peel and slice the mango thinly, make mango roses and swirls.
- To assemble the fruit bowl, place the shaved ice at the bottom of the coconut. Arrange the fruits in the bowl. Top with 2 tablespoons of coconut milk, a drizzle of condense milk. Garnish with shaved coconut and flowers to serve.