We had a great time over the weekend, cooked up a storm at the Vietnamese Festival on Crown Riverwalk.
Cooking on the stage and in front of the crowd while the storm was about to approach us on Saturday was quite an experience. However, we were lucky enough to finish our cooking just when the rain hit hard.
So, here is the recipe for the deliciously grilled scallop in shell with green mango salad. It's perfect for BBQ party or as a starter for any dinner. The mango salad also goes well with grilled meat and seafood.
- 12 scallops, in shell
- 1 bunch spring onion
- 50g dried scallop
- 2 tablespoons fried shallot
- 1kg green mangoes
- 1 bunch of mixed Vietnamese herbs
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1-2 chili, chopped
- Soak the dried scallop in water for 1 hour, bash it with pestle and mortar. Fry the dried scallop in a small fry pan for 5 minutes or until golden and crisp. Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Make spring onion oil. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a frying pan, add chopped spring onion, cook for 2-4 minutes. Remove from heat, set aside.
- Peel then shred the green mango using a julienne peeler.
- Wash the herbs, pluck the leaves and chop finely.
- In a small bowl, mix the all the ingredients for dressing, stir well until sugar dissolves.
- Salt the scallop slightly. Grill the scallops in shell on BBQ for 5 minutes. Drizzle a teaspoon of spring onion oil on top.
- Toss mango with herbs, fried shallot, 1 tablespoon fried dried scallop and dressing together in a bowl.
- Top the scallop with mango salad. Serve immediately.